Natural Remedies, Fiber
Natural remedies, and working with our bodily systems is extremely important. Fiber is one of those food items that we don't pay much attention to, but it is one of the most important.
Do you eat 40 baby carrots a day? How about 17 cups of spinach? 17 prunes? If you are like most people, you probably struggle to get enough of these natural remedies that contain fiber, in your diet every day. The American Heart Association recommends, for increased health and wellness, a total dietary fiber intake of 25-30 grams a day. Yet most people in the U.S. get about 15 grams a day.
Fiber, a natural remedy for numerous health issues, is routinely removed from cereals and flours by hulling and milling. And it’s stripped from fruits and vegetables by removing seeds, pulp, and peels. The fact is, even with our abundant food supply, we are not getting enough fiber in our diet.
Why Do I Need Fiber?
Fiber is a natural remedy, not drug related, for improved health and wellness. It is critical for our digestive and elimination system, as well as a help for keeping cholesterol levels in balance. When you eat enough fiber in your diet, you are also “detoxing” yourself. A recent study in the Journal of Nutrition showed a higher intake of dietary fiber may decrease the risk of developing cardiovascular disease by helping to reduce overall cholesterol. When you have adequate fiber in your diet, some of it will bind with the bile in our digestive system, allowing it to be discarded in our waste. To produce new bile, which is necessary for proper digestion, you need cholesterol. It’s a very precise system, called “Enterohepatic Circulation” You don’t need to be able to pronounce it to understand it! The process works like this:
1. The gallbladder stores the bile;
2. In the small intestine bile emulsifies (mixes) fats;
3. In the colon, bile that has been trapped by dietary fibers is lost in feces;
4. In the liver, cholesterol is used to make new bile.It’s a pretty amazing process, one that we don’t even have to think about, and a natural way to improve your health and wellness. What we should think about, is the effect that statin drugs like Lipidor have on this process. This type of drug actually interferes with the enzyme action in our liver that produces cholesterol. Food for thought. Some of the best fiber foods for helping this activity are:
• Whole grain breads and cereals
• Good quality fiber drinks with Psyllium husk as one of the main ingredients is the best. For more information about a company that produces one of the best, Contact Us Also see foods that heal.
Fiber & Cancer Prevention
In a 30 year old study, comparing cancer rates in 32 countries around the world, it was found that one of the strongest links between any cancer and any dietary factor was between colon cancer and meat intake: the higher the meat intake, the higher the overall cancer rates.
In another study that compared diets in 7 countries, researchers found that eating an additional ten grams of dietary fiber a day lowered the long-term risk of colon cancer by 33% and acted as a natural remedy to fight colon cancer. It is pretty easy to get your fiber every day, even if you are not on a totally holistic medicine program. It can also taste really good! For example, there are 10 grams of fiber in one cup of raspberries; one Asian pear or one cup of peas. A cup of just about any variety of beans would provide significantly more than 10 grams of fiber.
In yet another scientific study, conducted in 1990, a group of researchers reviewed sixty different studies that had been done on fiber and colon cancer. They found that the majority of the studies scientifically supported the idea that fiber protects against colon cancer. They noted that the combined results showed that the people who consumed the most fiber had a 43% lower risk of colon cancer than the people who consumed the least fiber. Those who consume the most vegetables had an astounding 52% lower risk than those who consumed the least vegetables. Even in the scientific community, they have found that fiber is a natural way to help fight cancer and heart disease, and an exceptional way to detox your system.Relating this information to the United States population, a 1992 study found that if Americans ate an additional 13 grams of fiber a day from food sources, not just supplements, about 1/3 of all colorectal cancer cases in the U.S. could be avoided.
You really need to ask yourself at least one question: “How important is my health now, and in the future?” And: “What am I going to do about it, just let things slide and hope for the best, or take action to be in charge of my health and my future?”
The key here, as with other health topics, is that in order for your health to improve, now, and 10, 15 or 20 years down the line, it takes YOU making a decision, not leaving it in your doctor’s hands. Wouldn’t it be great if we could have such phenomenal health, that we just went to the doctor to check in now and then, and the doctors got paid more for keeping people healthy, than being in the “sickness business?” You may not know, but that is the case in several other developed countries: doctors are paid more for keeping people well than for prescribing drugs.
Your future is up to you. I have personally been involved with both sides of the health and wellness picture. Working with people who are healthy and vibrant in their 70s, 80s and 90s, is incredible! Just sitting and visiting with them, taking a hike, playing tennis or golf, shows you what your “golden years” should be like. Too often, the golden years mean that you are worth more than gold to the medical establishment. Did you know that there are over 1,000,000,000 medical bankruptcies a year in the US? A very large percentage or them are the elderly. How would you feel if you had worked hard all of your life so that you could retire in comfort, only to have your health fall apart because you had “put off” taking care of yourself? That is exactly what is happening every day to our senior population. Instead of being honored for their accomplishments and knowledge, they are being reduced to beggar status by a broken health, or rather, sickness, industry.
As a comparison, the number of medical bankruptcies in some other developed countries are: England: 0; Germany: 0; Taiwan: 0; Canada: 0; Japan: 0.
This type of "aging and getting sick dread" is, in a large part, preventable for you and for those you care about. It is simply a decision to make different choices to:
• Improve your health and wellness;
• Begin a program to do simple changes like eat more fiber;
• Cut down on junk food;
• Look at natural remedies;
• Exercise, even moderately;
• Eat more vegetables—good quality vegetables, not the junk in the average grocery store;
• Look first at natural ideas, before you look at the drug options.So, as I mentioned earlier, all of the information and the studies are there, all you need to do is make the decision NOT to put your health in the hands of someone who is after your money, the drug and sickness industry, and figure out what you want your future to be, because it will absolutely be here before you know it, and if you wait for it without taking personal action, it will find you in a position that you do not want to be in. Your health is a gift to be taken care of, and not to be taken lightly. If you do take it lightly, you will not have a future that you would choose. (Home Page Return) (Diet and Disease) (Disease Prevention)
Turn your hobby, business or passion into your own website. We will lead you step by step to a successful site.